Friday, July 29, 2005

on the road again

After being on the road for almost two weeks, and being completely cut-off from the news during that time, I have to admit my surprise that the very first topic of conversation on talk radio I encountered was none other than the Rove Plame-Out/Flame-Out. And some poor schmuck at Faux News / Fox Skews (can't decide which nickname I like better) had to spend hours of his life going through every speech, side-comment, joke, and likely sleep-talk Pres. Bush has made since the leak occurred to find the one time that he didn't promise to fire those involved. Nevermind the countless times that he or someone in his administration made it very clear that a) Rove, Libby, and other important administration figures were not involved in this (the leak) and b) that whoever is involved would be fired "at a minimum." There's only one word that I can think that fits this situation: Liars. I try not to use the word lightly, but there it is.

In other news, I was excited to see Lance Armstrong had won his 7th Tour de France. It was almost a foregone conclusion before I left, but one never knows. He and his team are, once again, an inspiration. And now he offers renewed hope through his selfless pledge to turn his focus and drive toward winning a new battle - waged against cancer. It would be easy enough for him to retire to a life of ease on past winnings and future celebrity endorsements. I applaud him for his decision.

I also returned home to discover that Pres. Bush has made a nomination to the Supreme Court. I was surprised to hear that Sandra Day O'Connor has endorsed the man (I didn't know ex-justices did that?). So far I have personally read only a little about him, enough to say simply that I am nervous without being able to give much detail. The fact that Pat Robertson endorses him 100% is just one source of my nervousness. The fact that he has such a limited public record is another.

A quick side note: the comment I wanted to make about my previous absence (see around July 5) relates here. While on a Mission Trip, I had the unexpected opportunity to visit the office of the Senate Chaplain and then sit in on proceedings in the Senate chamber. After listening for some time to one of my own senators (Sen. DeWine) prattle on for a while, I was shocked when Sen. John McCain entered the chambers to announce that Justice Sandra Day O'Connor was stepping down from the Supreme Court. Overall, his remarks were good and appropriate to the occasion, offering thanks and praise for her work. I was disappointed, then, by Sen. Ted Kennedy, who followed McCain, and missed his opportunity to make a really fine speech. Instead of following McCain's lead, finding ways to thank and praise Justice O'Connor for her years of dedicated service, his speech largely focused on the President's need to consult with the Democrats in his selection to replace her. There has been ample time for such positioning, and Democratic leadership has used it to such ends; that moment more rightfully should have been about O'Connor, her work, and some non-partisan thanks and praise.

Finally, I would add my condolences to the growing list of those who have lost loved ones through senseless acts of terrorism. That, sadly, also did not change while I was away. It will be a great day indeed when my prayers are not filled with such remembrances.

God give us perspective and direct us in paths that unite us, paths of love, paths toward a peaceful future.

No comments: