Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Eggo waffles and a theological response

An early morning reflection...
As I sat here this morning nibbling my Eggo waffles and wondering what to write, a verse of scripture popped into my head: "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways." (1 Cor. 13:11) Uh oh, not a great way to start the day. And then another scripture came to mind: "I (Jesus) know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:15-16) And reading a little further (3:20) we find this: "Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me."

In my defense to Corinthians, I only picked up the waffles on a whim. I ate them often as a kid but I honestly can’t remember the last time I had them. And it’s true, what Revelation warns - they are hard to keep hot! Even when I burn them, they cool off way too fast. In their place, one burning question remains: If Jesus comes a-knockin', do I have to hide the waffles?

Understanding the Bible is not always easy. People often jump to crazy conclusions. Another case in point: A number of Christian public speakers have sought to explain, with scriptural citation, why God caused Hurricane Katrina. They remind me of the importance of personal and communal Bible study as a balance to our absurd tendencies. Next time I hear one of those guys blathering on like that, I think I’ll send them a short letter: "Leggo my Eggo!"

No comments: