Saturday, February 17, 2007

ch-ch-ch-changes...

A little while back, I came across a story about a poll done on the most annoying cliches. A quick google turned up this article, on CNN:
At the end of the day, it's the most irritating cliche in the English language.

That abused and overused phrase has topped a poll to find the most annoying cliche, the Plain English Campaign said Wednesday.

Second place went to "at this moment in time," and third to the constant use of "like," as if it were a form of punctuation. "With all due respect" came fourth.

The UK-based Plain English Campaign said it canvassed 5,000 people in 70 countries to find the most irritating phrases of all...
Personally, I find the use of the word 'literally' to be more annoying, though maybe that doesn't count as a cliche. No, I just checked, it does. Anyway, the use of 'At the End of the Day' as my blog title was an expression of my intent to up-date the blog, literally, at the end of the day. (See what I mean about that literally thing? Everytime I hear someone say it, I want to say "Still not using it right, Joey.") But yesterday, while listening to a podcast of Democracy Now!, I heard one interviewee use 'at the end of the day' 10 times in 5 minutes. Literally! No, actually he only used it three or four times, but it was annoying enough.

So, now I'm going seamless. And what does that mean? At the end of the day, I haven't decided - literally. But I'll let you know when I do.

No comments: